welcome to my thoughts, images and impressions of the world as it comes.

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Seatbelts, or lack thereof...

When I was little, the car did not move until everyone had their seatbelts on...

I took a taxi the other day and was dismayed by what I found; aside from the deplorable driving and usual grungy interior, there were wads of gum and their wrappers stuck into the seat belt receptors. Indeed no one wears seatbelts here, and they laugh if you do (one driver actually reached over once and unbuckled my seatbelt). But to block the slots and take away the option to even try to buckle-up astounded me.

Even worse than this and more alarming is that fact that even I, after eight months of not wearing a seatbelt, seem to has lost the reflex to reach over my shoulder and secure mine before the car starts moving.

No comments: