welcome to my thoughts, images and impressions of the world as it comes.

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

LIFE in DC

You're not really a DC-ite until you have a business card. Or so I am learning. The feeling that permeates every event, conversation, or chance encounter is that of "who is this person, are they important enough to talk to, can they help me in my career ambitions..." If you're not important enough to chat with, they will continue some banal chit-chat, while looking over your head, to the side, or behind them to see who they can go talk to instead. If they think that you are fairly interesting, then they will pull out a business card and say something like, "we'll I've got to run, but it was great meeting you." At this point you had better have a card to give back in return. Otherwise, you're nobody.

No comments: