welcome to my thoughts, images and impressions of the world as it comes.

Monday, March 31, 2008

european escape...frisbee trips galore March 13-24

Two weeks in Spain, France and Italy, seeing friends, playing Frisbee and going with the flow of life, such were my most recent travels in Europe.

Thursday March 13 saw my early departure from Rabat to arrive in Casa for my flight to Barcelona. The flight was almost full, except for the two seats directly surrounding me. Therefore, my flight consisted of me stretching across all three seats and relaxing quite comfortably during the two hour flight. As I walked out of customs in Barcelona, there was Sebastian waiting for me. Perfect timing. Without a map or any real directions, we navigated the beautiful boulevards of Barcelona, with me marveling at the tranquil traffic and intricate architecture that certainly don’t exist in Morocco, until arriving at our friend Josephine’s apartment. Our evening consisted of tapas, ham, cheese, alcohol and Mexican food- all things that I was craving after so many months without.

It must have been something I ate because Friday morning I woke up throwing up, shaky body, hurting all over, with no appetite and not excited to play Frisbee… something was indeed wrong. The only time I moved was to walk to the car with Seb when we had to leave Josephine’s for the Costa Brava coast. I was still so sick when we arrived at the hotel that I drank some water and went straight to bed, without even saying hello to all the Ziggles players that were arriving.

Saturday dawned clear and cold as we headed out to the stony beach for our first game of the three day weekend. It’s hard to come together as a team when half of us are guest players, and we ended up losing all of our games on the first day. Despite the disappointing results, our team spirit was high and Saturday night started with happy hour at the Irish pub across from the beach and finished around 3am at the local night club VIP room. Needless to say Sunday morning was a bit rough, but I was feeling in good shape, and we started wining our games, which is always more fun than losing. By the end of the day, sleep was starting to sound like an excellent idea; however, it was the night of the costume party. We were going as punks. Personally, I went more as an Avril Lavigne punk, complete with tie, black eyeliner, fish net gloves and an attitude to match. The party was awesome, filled with teams disguised as pirates, pharaohs, hippies, and everything in between. After another late night, our one game on Monday went well and we finished the tournament in high spirits and proud to wear the Ziggles jersey.

I think, even if I play with other teams, I will always be a Ziggle at heart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Or see here