welcome to my thoughts, images and impressions of the world as it comes.

Friday, December 28, 2007

the trip home...

I can’t believe how smoothly my flight home was this year; it was by far the best transatlantic trip I have ever had (especially considering my lost passport in Heathrow last August)! Being my mother’s daughter, I made it Casablanca airport with plenty of time to spare, so had no un-necessary stress early on Thursday morning. Then, my friend Trent changed his seat to sit next to me, so that was fun to have someone to talk with and complain about the skimpy snacks and non-ergonomically designed chairs. After sleeping with my head on his shoulder, we awoke starving, so managed to steal some pretzels and several half bottles of wine, which made the rest of the flight much more fun.

Once at JFK I was having heart palpitations about making my next connection. Luckily, I cut in the customs line, sped through the exit, ran onto to the inter-terminal train just as it was about to depart, arrived at the Northwest check-in counter to find absolutely no line and, after taking off my shoes and belt for security, found myself calmly waiting with the rest of the passengers headed for Michigan. After changing planes in Detroit, I found myself once again in the familiar Grand Rapids B terminal, only twenty minutes late, almost 20 hours after departing my apartment in Rabat.

No comments: