welcome to my thoughts, images and impressions of the world as it comes.

Saturday, October 06, 2007

Akeri Market




I went to Akeri market with Jane today, not because I need to buy fresh fruit and veggies or household furniture, but because Jane needed plastic baskets and I wanted to take pictures of the people who live amidst the narrow streets and smell of fish. As if being blond and white didn’t make me stand out enough, holding a camera certainly did. Maybe people are just cranky because it’s Ramadan and they are fasting all day long or maybe they simply don’t like having their picture taken- I certainly got some nasty glares and one woman even put a box over her head when I tried to take her picture. For the most part the people consented when I asked to take a picture, but it proved to be harder than I thought it would be to capture the weather worn people, mélange of smells and dirty streets that twist and turn amidst this central market.

No comments: