welcome to my thoughts, images and impressions of the world as it comes.

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Living Life

I was afraid of the “real world” after graduation. Being cut-off from the parents, working non-stop, running the rat race simply to climb the corporate ladder. Was this all I was cut out for after four fabulous years at NU? Where was the adventure? Where was the un-known and the trail less traveled?

In the nerve-wracking, nail biting, indecisive throws of the senior year job search, an older theta girl told me how much fun she was having teaching English in France. So, I thought, why not live in France for my first year out? I can master the language, earn some money and have the chance to travel. Off I packed for a year in the south of France, living with a French boy, teaching 2nd-5th graders elementary English, meeting friends from all corners of the world and traveling as much as my meager salary would allow.

I would often hear about how hard and long my friends were working back in Chicago, usually while I was planning for an evening at the beach or a weekend off traveling. It is only now, after I have returned from my life in France, that I have realized, this is the real world. It is real for me; this is my life and I am living it the only way I know how- bursting with new experiences, engulfed in new places and people, basking in joy, learning the hard way from mistakes, tasting and savoring the sweetness that is gone all too quickly.

No comments: